Monday, August 15, 2011


Here at The Halpern Homestead we try to reduce and reuse as much as possible.
This mess of hoses above is our effort at conservation. We have our garden on soaker hoses to minimize waste due to evaporation which occurs with overhead irrigation. So far, each year we have doubled the amount soaker hoses we own. This requires a lot of hoses feeding into them. We have also added 2 separate timer units to aid in more consistent and effective watering. Looks like a cluster, but it is working for us. 

One thing I have learned is that the soaker hoses are not effective when joined and the length exceeds 100ft. The hoses after 100ft are usually very low flow and pretty ineffective. 

1 comment:

Amy said...

I had the same problem.